Wednesday, August 14, 2013

April? It's August already!

Wow!  I cannot believe the last time I posted was in April!  Wowza!  Isn't it amazing how busy we can become?  I thought the summers were for catching up on things, didn't you?  Well, where do I begin?  How about that garden box that we built in the last blog, back in April?  Well, here it is!


As you can see, we have been receiving a bountiful amount of produce. 


The corn has been fantastic!  I read an article that states corn is best when eaten less than 12 hours after being picked.  We tasted the difference!  Incredible!  Corn is one of the easiest things to grow, too.  My sugar snap peas didn't fair so well, though.  I'll try something different with them next year.


In this picture, you can see the cucumber and tomato plants in the back.  We've had lots and lots of cucumbers this year.  The bell pepper and jalapeno pepper plants are being crowded out and haven't produced much.  I'll need to space them out better next year... like in a different raised bed!  The asparagus plants are doing quite well in the front.

We had terrible issues with the grasshoppers this year, too.  I went to Wells Bros and picked up some organic powder to put on the leaves.  It worked like a charm!  Love it!  Now if I could keep the field mice away.  Argh!

How well did your garden do this year?  What would you do differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment