Monday, August 9, 2010

Raising chicks


Well, my dear daughter and I decided to try and incubate some eggs about 21 days ago. In fact, it was the day before she left for her mission trip. I told her I wasn't about to start those eggs and keep up with them during the time frame of her absence. So, we waited. Well, we actually waited 12 days. Eggs should only be held for a maximum of 10 days before incubating, to ensure a higher hatch rate. Well, here is the proof. Out of about 24 eggs, only two hatched.

So, my daughter doesn't have to worry about nearly the amount of stink in her room now, while the chicks stay inside until they are large enough to survive in the coop. Hailey's really good friend, Bonnie, has decided she wants to give a go at hatching chicks, so she has borrowed our incubator and about 15 eggs. We'll let you know how that turns out in about 21 more days! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment