Sunday, March 21, 2010

Texas weather


Ok, Friday, I'm out at the JFK Museum with my family wearing a short sleeve shirt and pants. I could have worn shorts, it was so warm out. It was an absolutely gorgeous day! Saturday morning, it's business as usual in the process of doing the barn chores. However, by noon, you could feel the weather changing as the wind kicked up a notch and the coolness kicked in. By the time I left my lifegroup Saturday night around 9:00 pm, there was already a collection of snow on the car. Who was as surprised as I was to wake up to this on Sunday morning? Whew! Hard to believe, but that's Texas weather for you! LOL!


Here is a picture of our chickens when I arrived outside this morning. There was SNOW inside the coop! The wind must have really been blowing to do this!


Even just outside the chicken coop, underneath the eaves of the barn, there was snow everywhere. I had to empty out the feeders in order to fill them up with feed. Of course, the water was frozen. Drag! Most of the chickens didn't even want to venture out this morning. Nathan, our rescue dog, decided he would eat the feed if the chickens didn't want it. He's pretty good friends with the chickens and doesn't bother them at all. Praise the Lord for that!


I closed up the crias with their moms last night, to try and keep out some of the blustering wind. The babies were waiting at the door, wanting to know what in the world was going on. They were the only alpacas that didn't have snow all over themselves from last night. Alpacas generally love the cold and the snow, due to them having thick, warm coats on. However, I always err on the side of precaution when it comes to my babies...especially since it was in the seventies just days before!


You can still see the snow falling this morning when my old barrel horse, Squirt, was waiting for me by the gate. He was smart enough to stay in under the covering during most of the night.


Everyone decided they would stay under cover for their morning hay. I'm sure when it starts to warm up a little, they will be back out again, enjoying the freshly laid snow.


It's just amazing. The snow is so beautiful and so UNLIKE what we normally have for a Texas winter. This has just been one crazy winter for us, hasn't it? The high today is supposed to only get to 38 degrees. Monday, it's supposed to be back up to 61 degrees and by Tuesday, it should be in the 70's again! Crazy...

Enjoy your day!
Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment